Time to prepare: 10 minutes
Time to cook: 40 minutes
3 large overripe bananas
75ml vegetable oil
100g/3½oz brown sugar
225g/scant 8oz self-raising flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
50g/1¾oz dark chocolate drops (ensure that they’re dairy-free)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/360°F/gas mark 6.
- Mash the bananas well with a fork.
- Mix the oil and sugar together and then add the mashed bananas.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and mix well. Next add the chocolate drops.
- Bake in a greased, lined 2lb loaf tin for approximately. 20 minutes. Check and cover with foil if the cake is browning. Bake for another 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool a little before serving.
Chef’s tip: Instead of chocolate drops you could add dried fruit or nuts.
The Vegan Baking guide can be downloaded free of charge from the Vegetarian for Life website where details of the vegan baking courses can also be found, or order a physical copy for just £2 plus P&P.