No results found

Health, Columns

Tales from the Mat: Ben’s Story

divider
“Teaching, to me, is providing a safe space and the toolkit for wellness, recovery, and growth”
Ben Yoga crh56o

When Hollywood film cameraman Ben Minot injured his knee, he was told he may never walk again without surgery. Unhappy with that idea, he began to explore yoga as a therapy instead. Fast forward to today and Ben has added world class yoga teaching to his work in film. He specialises in Bikram-based hot yoga and is passionate about its transformative powers.

“By the time I was in my mid-thirties, a short hike would result in severe pain and days of recovery. My doctors were telling me I’d soon be unable to walk properly without surgery”. 

Ben was curious about alternative methods, so began doing yoga. “I did a pretty deep dive and I found Hot26 yoga to be most effective and I now lead a full, rich, and very active life. I attribute 80% to yoga and the other 20% to lifestyle”.

Also known as Bikram or 26 and 2, Hot26 is a yoga practice based originally on the teachings of Indian bodybuilder and Hatha yogi B C Ghosh who, in the 1920s, influenced the development of modern yoga as exercise. It was later popularised by Bikram Choudhry. Students move through a sequence of 26 set postures, or ‘asanas’, and two breathing exercises, commonly in a heated studio with temperatures reaching around 40ºC. “Hot26 rebalances the autonomic nervous system which regulates the respiratory, cardiovascular, and digestive systems—the magic trinity of well-being. Speaking of cardio, heart rates can climb above 110 at the peak of class”.

Apart from the very significant health improvements that Ben has experienced, he has witnessed impressive turnarounds in his students: “I’ve been particularly inspired to see stroke victims, people with rheumatoid arthritis, PTSD, all kinds of ailments coming to my class. One gentleman, 80+ years of age, came to the studio in a mobility chair at least twice a week. You’re never too old or too unfit to start.” Ben explains that it is a stye of yoga that is suitable for all levels “Think of it as a kind of moving meditation, it is up to you to regulate how much you are challenged on the mat.” 

 Now based in Oxfordshire, Ben teaches privately and spends time between his home studio, Prana Yoga in Oxford and Hot Yoga Plus in San Francisco, USA. “Teaching, to me, is providing a safe space and the toolkit for wellness, recovery, and growth. I’d like to continue to develop Oxford’s hot yoga scene, creating fully immersive experiences that promote a deeper understanding of this powerful and transformative practice.”

Find Ben on Instagram, @onemindfulyogi, and at any of his weekly classes in Oxford pranayogaoxford.com.

Our Tales from the Mat come from the wonderful Joy Le Fevre, yoga teacher and founder of yogidup.com.

RECOMMENDED

Screenshot 2024 06 03 at 12.24.26 gqoqcg
Mon 3 Jun 2024

For many people, the path into yoga starts with exercise. There might be a desire to lose weight, get toned or improve fitness in some way.  As these results start to be felt, the student might explore deeper aspects of the practice; realising that yoga can be a whole healthy lifestyle, and not just a class.

Oxford Pride
Fri 31 May 2024

“Darling,” OX managing director, Jill Rayner says to me, “can you write something about Pride? Because even though you’ve moved to Australia and Melbourne’s queer scene is bigger than Oxford’s, the principle’s the same.” 

shutterstock 237758146 tx0sjl
Tue 7 May 2024

By the time this edition of OX Magazine is out, I’ll be on the other side of the world, most likely a little sunburnt and full of a lot of ramen. I’m leaving my very jammy role as Entertainments Editor to go travelling. It recently dawned on me though, that for the first time in my life I have no idea what’s next for me, and I don’t think I mind.

sleeping
Wed 1 May 2024

Elite sports stars spend far longer in the rest and practise phases than performing, but what they do in the rest and practise phases is a critical part of what helps them to perform when it matters. When we conducted research for our latest book, Rest. Practise. Perform., we found that elite sports have a lot to teach us about how to rest and as a result, perform better.