Veganuary is over for another year but the drive towards eating more sustainably is ever-present and more of us are embracing the delights of a plant-based diet.
Cliveden House is a five-star luxury hotel, owned by the National Trust and operated under a long lease arrangement by Iconic Luxury Hotels. This is a house that for well over 350 years has been dedicated to the pursuit of pleasure, power and politics. The setting, architecture and interiors all speak of extravagance and nowhere more so than in the dining room where the palate is refined and the options, luxurious. Vegan, veggie, flexi or full-on carnivore; delectation awaits. In celebration of their new vegan tasting and à la carte menus, we are delighted to have persuaded Head Chef, Chris Hannon to share this indulgent risotto recipe – perfect for lovers.
Truffle Risotto, provided by Cliveden’s Head Chef, Chris Hannon
- 1 shallot diced
- Half a clove of crushed garlic
- 30g truffle oil
- 100g of arborio rice
- 100g slice chestnut mushroom (mushroom of your choice , we use the mushrooms that are in season)
- 70 ml of dry white wine
- 500ml mushroom stock or vegetable stock.
- 70 g of vegan yogurt
- 70g grated vegan cheese
- Pinch of chopped chives
- 1 spoon of truffle paste or freshly chopped truffle
- Salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Fresh truffle to finish
- In a wide saucepan sweat off your shallots and garlic in the truffle oil until they are soft. Then add rice and cook for a further 3 minutes so it is lightly toasted. Add the white wine, followed by the stock shortly after. Reduce the heat and cook gently, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- In a separate pan cook the sliced mushrooms on a high heat to remove moisture and caramelise the natural sugars in the mushroom (certain mushrooms will colour faster eg ceps or porcini).
- Once most of the rice has been absorbed by the stock, it will be close to being cooked. At this point add the mushrooms and the rest of the ingredients, stirring the rice continuously. This will work the starch in the rice making the risotto creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste, and some fresh truffle .
Cliveden House is a member of Iconic Luxury Hotels, a collection of England’s finest iconic hotels which also includes: Chewton Glen; 11 Cadogan Gardens in Chelsea; The Lygon Arms, Broadway and The Mayfair Townhouse in London, scheduled to open this September.