These pastries are bound to impress and can be topped with a variety of fruits. If using a different brand of pastry, always check the label to check that it is made to a vegan recipe.
Time to prepare: 10 minutes | Time to cook: 25 minutes | Makes 10 tartlets
1 x 500g/generous 1lb block vegan puff pastry (e.g. Jus-Rol)
220g/7¾oz fruits of the forest, frozen
30g/1oz caster sugar
2 tbsp apricot jam
1 lemon, juice only
A little icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/360°F/gas mark 4.
- Carefully roll out the pastry until it is 1cm thick. Using a scone cutter, approximately 10cm in diameter, cut out the pastry. Place your cut pastry onto a lined baking sheet.
- Place a small amount of frozen fruit in the centre of each pastry circle, and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges have risen and are golden.
- Carefully place on a cooling rack. While the pastries are baking, place all of the glaze ingredients into a saucepan. Heat gently until the apricot jam has melted.
- Finally, brush the cooked pastries with the glaze and dust with a little icing sugar.
Chef’s tip: I have made these with many other fruits. Both frozen and fresh have worked well.
From the Vegan Baking guide which can be downloaded free of charge from the Vegetarian for Life website where details of the vegan baking courses can also be found, or order a physical copy for just £2 plus P&P.